Thursday, September 12, 2013

My Genius Pin Cushion!

I've been a busy little sewing bee lately!  Now that I've found the hang of it, I'm really enjoying it and I'm trying more and more projects.
One thing that has been bugging me is trying to find a place for straight pins as I pull them out while I'm sewing on the machine.  And slightly less irritating is trying to pull a pin out of the tangle of pins in the little box they come in without poking myself!
Well, a pincushion wasn't quite what I was looking for.  I wanted a magnetic contraption of some sort (because I'm also tired of spilling pins and picking them out of the carpet).
So, on one of my many trips to the many craft store in my area, I looked at the various pin holding devices.  The cute little magnetic piece of plastic was $15.  Seriously?  No thanks.
Yesterday I was in another of the many craft stores and I decided i would make my own.  I went to the magnet section and found that one package of magnets that would be strong enough to hold a bunch of pins was $7.99.  I now that $8 isn't that much in the grand scheme of things, but I wasn't interested in paying that much for magnets.
Suddenly, the heavens opened...
and the angels sang...
and a bright light shone down from above.

Ok

That didn't actually happen, but I did find this little thing.
This little magnetic eraser is meant for cleaning a dry erase board, but genius struck and I decided to give it a shot!  Besides, it was only $1.49!!!
Guess what!  It is perfect!  The pink part is kind of grippy, so it stays where I put it on my sewing table.  The magnet is strong enough to hold several pins at one time.  I can even carry it around with me without losing pins.
The eraser part of it is soft and self-healing (so far) so I can poke the pins into if I want.
I'm very very proud of this little find!!!

post signature

No comments: