Monday, December 02, 2013

The Spirit of Christmas - Day 2

I'm SO ready to decorate for Christmas!  Since we are a blended family, we have some blended decorations.  I can't wait to share pieces of that with you this month.
The Hubs has a Christmas tree skirt that was crocheted by his grandmother.  It is very special to him, so he doesn't really like to put it under our real tree.  We don't want to get tree sap on it or for the crazy cat to do something to it.
This year, I am making a tree skirt out of burlap for our tree.  I helped a friend make a red and green one for her tree that turned out ADORABLE!!!
So, I bought a few yards of very light burlap at Walmart.  It was under $3 a yard, so I bought plenty!
I also used a 50% off coupon for a roll of burlap ribbon at Michael's.  It was about $4.99.
Altogether, I spent about $12 on this project!
I cut a 44' diameter circle out of the light burlap using this method from the Do It Yourself Divas.  Very simple to do!  I ended up with this after cutting the large circle, a seem up one side, and the inner circle.

Next, I lined up the ribbon along the outer edge of the skirt.  I only pinned the first section.  To make the ruffle, I just shoved the ribbon in a little fast than the skirt was going through the machine. This creates the ruffle effect.
Once I went all the way around the skirt, I sewed up the end of the ribbon so it wouldn't fray.

Then I got to work on the embroidery design.  I stressed over this one - couldn't choose.  I finally chose a font called Special Block Alphabet from Applique Corner…which. I. LOVE!

Here she is all done!!!


Squirrel approves!



post signature

2 comments:

Kirstin @ Hello Kirsti said...

So cute with the monogram!! Love your kitty's name too!

Mandee said...

Thanks, Kirstin! She's names after my sorority mascot. The name fits though!