Tuesday, December 03, 2013

The Spirit of Christmas - Day 3

Today is Give Day!
I hadn't heard of it until I started seeing posts about it on Facebook.  I like the idea though - we (Americans) have been so caught up in a 4-day Black Friday and Cyber Monday that we may have forgotten to give.
So here's the day to do it.
If you've read much of my blog, or even remotely know me, you know that my heart live in Honduras at a place called Mission Lazarus.
In a nutshell, ML serves the physically, emotionally, and spiritual needy in Honduras and Haiti.  There is so much need in third world countries that we can't even fathom here in the US.  My eyes have been opened by ML time and time again.
Today, I decided to give a random gift to ML.  I also ordered a new hat :)

If you go to this link, you can buy your own hat.  Or a GORGEOUS purse or other leather good made by Hondurans who are learning a trade in order to take care of their families.  (Great gifts!!)

You can also choose to sponsor a child or provide a sustainable gift like chickens or cows to a family in Honduras. This gift does more for them than we can imagine.  It gives them a source of food and income.  It effects more than just that family - it helps the whole community.  I encourage you to at least spend the $30 for chickens!

I'm thinking about other ways I'd like to give today.  I've said that I plan to buy local, buy small, and buy from charities this year.  It takes more time and effort, but it feels great!
post signature

No comments: