Saturday, May 12, 2012

Couch 2 5k

I am going to do this!  I am determined to be able to run a full 5k without dying...or even stopping to walk.

Running has NEVER been my thing.  I was always one of the last ones to finish the dreaded mile in PE and I usually didn't even run the entire thing.  I've done a couple of 5k races that were for a good cause.  I did the most running I've done in my life in those, but the adrenaline and the crowd helped me move!  I want to run a 5k in the fall - maybe even a couple of them.  It is time to make it happen!

I've heard good things about the Couch 2 5k program, so I decided to give it a shot.  Today was my first day and I'm proud to say that I did it and I enjoyed it!  I was on my last round and decided to test myself.  Just how far can I run without stopping?  I pushed myself and made it half a mile without stopping and I was able to keep walking pretty easily when I was done.  My legs felt a little tired and I was fairly winded, but I wasn't miserable.  I actually kinda like it!  My pace was slow - about 12.5 minute mile, but that's ok.  I DID IT!!!

I use the Nike+GPS app to track my distance and pace and to play my music.  It runs in the background while I'm keeping track of my time.  I used a FREE app called RoundTimer to keep track of my walking/running intervals. 


It is pretty easy to use, but here is how to set the timer for week 1.

 Your Round Count needs to be set at 8.  You'll run for one minute and walk for 1 and a half 8 times for a total of 20 minutes.  This is after you've done your 5 minute warm-up of walking briskly.  I set my Countdown Time for 3 seconds, but you don't have to.  It just gives me a little heads up that I'm about to run.  Set Round Time to 1:00 - this is your jogging time.  You can set your round sounds, warning sound, and rest sound to anything you want.  I like the bell to finish my jog - makes me think of a boxer finishing his first round!  You don't need any warning time, so set this to 0 and the warning sound won't happen, so just leave that alone.  Set the Rest Time to 1:30 - this is your walking time.  I like the buzzer sound to end my walking - it reminds me of a basketball or volleyball game when a time-out is over and it's time to get back to the game!

Your volume level is up to you.  I run with my earbuds in, so I don't need it super loud.  I keep my Timer Sounds on and Vibrate on in case I don't hear the sounds over my music.  You can turn Auto Lock on or off, depending on whether you want the screen to lock while you're timing yourself.


It should be pretty easy to change the settings for each week.  All that needs to be changed is the Round Time and Rest Time.

Anyone wanna race?



No comments: