Monday, April 29, 2013

Who are My Witnesses?

My friends and I are beginning week 3 of the Couch 2 5k program; I am about 1 week into strictly counting my calories; I am still pretty hungry ;).

Every matter must be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.  2 Cor. 13:1
Who are my witnesses?

I know that my help comes from the Lord.  He has provided me with the Spirit of discipline and self-control.  He is my first witness.

I am responsible for my own choices.  God leads me to the water, but doesn't force me to drink. It is up to me to choose the right things.  I am my own witness.

Ya gotta have friends, right?  Thank GOD I have the most AMAZING friends! I can't even count my blessings when it comes to friendships.  I have 2 friends who are meeting me 3 days a week to run.  I have another friend who walks with me or brings me to her gym when our schedules allow.  She pushes me to work harder every time. I have a large group of friends who have joined me on Facebook in so many health challenges.  We encourage each other and hold each other accountable.  These amazing women are my third witness(es).

Since can identify my witnesses, what do I do with them?

I need my first witness with every breath.  I must stay in communion with God.  As long as there is breath in this body, I need His guidance.  I need to keep myself aware of His guidance by reading His word and listening for His voice.  I can't do it without Him!

My job, as my own witness, is to monitor my own behavior.  As my husband would say, "I need to check-up from the neck-up."  What is my focus?  Am I being aware of my behaviors - food intake, exercise, laziness level?  Do I have a plan for my meals and snacks and workouts?

My third group of witnesses hold me accountable.  They encourage me when I don't feel like exercising.  They remind me that it isn't worth it when I'm hovering over a piece of cake.  They pat me on the back when I lose an ounce.  I can't do it without them!

So, who are your three witnesses?  Are you including God in your quest for health and fitness and self-control?  Do you keep watch over yourself?  Do you have a partner, or a group of partners?



post signature

No comments: