Thursday, August 16, 2012

Mission Accomplished - Positive Thinking Thursday

It isn't very often that I start something and finish is - especially an exercise program - but I've done it!

The mission that I chose to accept was the 9-week Couch to 5k Program.


MISSION: ACCOMPLISHED

This doesn't usually happen, but it has happened for me a few times in the last 6 months and I am so happy, proud, amazed, humbled, grateful, etc.  

I have now finished Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred, Prevention Magazine's 14 Day Work-out, and now Couch to 5k.  I started each on with an end-goal and I've seen them through to that goal.  Accomplishing each goal has been empowering and energizing.  Once I finish one I can't wait to find the next goal to work towards.

I've added several other things to my routine, such as yoga, BodyRock.tv, Billy Blanks Boot Camp, and a few others.  They are great additions, but I have learned that having an end goal helps motivate me.

I'm not a self-starter or self-motivated fitness buff.  At.  All.  I know that about myself and I know that about a lot of you too!  It's just who we are.  

Here's my advice:
1. Choose your poison  - what is going to be fun enough that you won't cry when it's time to work out? Your answer may be: Sitting on the couch eating chips.  I hear ya!  What makes you feel good when you're done?  Do you like to dance?  Do you like how your legs tingle after a fast walk or run?  Do you enjoy a certain sport?
2. Find a support system - Surround yourself on Facebook, Twitter, the office, Blog World, your neighborhood, or church with people who know that you are trying.  Ask them to let you report back.  Ask them to hound you if you need it!  Here's a little more on the topic!
3. Set goals - Find a routine that has a certain number of days or workouts that will challenge you until the end.  Knowing that you're going to be running on the same path every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday for the rest of your life may be daunting.  But, knowing that there will be a day in the near future when you can say I DID IT! makes each step a little easier.
4. Schedule it - If you live in an industrialized country, you're probably uttered the phrase "I just don't have time."  Well, as much as I hate to hear my own mother's voice come out of my mouth: YOU HAVE TIME FOR WHAT YOU MAKE TIME FOR.  Make the time.  Schedule the other things around your exercise as much as you can.

I can't tell you how amazing I feel.  My goal was to lose weight and get in shape, but now that I know how good it feels to say "I DID IT", that is becoming my goal.  Just to say I've done it.  

I set a goal.

I worked hard.

I achieved something.

I DID IT!



 

No comments: