Monday, March 05, 2012

I hate coconut

As I mentioned in a previous post, the hubs had a big birthday and requested coconut cake.  Well, I hate coconut cake and so do the girls, but it wasn't our birthday!  I decided to give it a shot WITHOUT the shredded coconut - the texture is really the issue.
I found this recipe on Pinterest that seemed easy enough to try, since I've never even thought about making a coconut cream cake before.  I had a hard time finding the cream of coconut, but I accidentally stumbled upon it in Publix.
Here is the cake I was attempting:

And here is how mine turned out:

K said he really liked it.  I ended up liking it a little too much too.  No, it isn't low-carb at all.  LOTS of sugar in this baby!  I licked the bowl, risking salmonela, it was so good!  I have only had one piece of cake, but Ken says it is even better the next day while it's cold out of the fridge.
That is one thing the recipe didn't say.  It needs to be refrigerated because of the whipping cream frosting.  I didn't love that.  I think a coconut flavored or rum flavored butter cream would have made it even better - very rich - but better.

No comments: