Tuesday, March 20, 2012

I'm Back!

I just spent a week in Honduras building houses in the mountains with a bunch of college kids.  Sound miserable? It was one of the best weeks of my life!
My husband and I, along with several members of my church go to Mission Lazarus in Jayacayan, Honduras pretty often.  This was our first time to go during March, but we wanted to take our youth minister there for his first time without teenagers.  It was a blessing for all of us.
Before we left, I really worried about how I was going to keep up with my low carb diet and 6-day-a-week exercise.  Every meal is made up of mostly carbs - bread, tortillas, rice, potatoes, chips, and cookies.  I planned ahead and packed a lot of nuts, jerky, and other low carb snacks.  Turns out, I worked so hard that I really needed more carbs.  I was just smart about it.  No chips or cookies and I ate fruit for breakfast when pancakes or french toast was served.  I also gave away all of my tortillas.  I did eat some ice cream though - and it was really yummy!
I had nothing to worry about as far as exercise was concerned also.  The first day, I dug ditches for a foundation.  My arms and back got some SERIOUS exercise that day!  The next 3 days, I had to walk a mile and a half through the mountains to get back and forth from the site.  I was attempting to lift 60-80 lb bricks and sling mud while we were working.  I'd say I got my work out.
That's my ditch!

About halfway through the mountains to the site.

I skipped about 3 days of exercise between travel days and resting yesterday.  Today I started Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred.  I kind of hate her already.  But, it feels good to be getting back into a routine.  My scale says I've put on a pound and a half, but I'm hoping most of that is muscle.
I have a lot to share about the mission part of our trip, but I'm still meditating on it.  I'll share more soon!

No comments: