Friday, October 26, 2012

Komen Race for the Cure 2012

I'm finally getting around to writing about my second 5k.  I think i have procrastinated on starting this one because I can figure out what I want to say.
There's too much to say.
Yes, it was my second 5k in my monthly series of 5ks.  Yes, I got my best time ever.  Yes, I ran the whole thing without stopping.
But those things all paled in comparison to the experience with my friends and the fact that I'm still running for my Daddy.

My sweet, precious, faithful friend Cathy is battling breast cancer.  She is only 34 - too young!  She has 2 small children - too busy, too needed.
We are blessed to have a small group of families that we share our lives with.  There are about 10 families that meet every Sunday evening to pray, eat, and let the little kids play.  The women in this group are particularly close.  I don't even know how it happened - it's just God.  And thank God for each other.  We call ourselves Cathy's Chemosabes :)

As a group, we've been doing whatever we can think of to support our friend.  One lady has organized the meals that are provided, especially on the days following each treatment.  We all gathered in Cathy's basement to decorate for her daughter's birthday party when Cathy didnt' have the energy to do it on her own.  We've worn pink, made ribbons, and prayed on our knees for her healing.

This past Saturday, we joined together to show our support at the North Central Alabama Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure.

Leading up to the race, we've had Pink Sales at church to raise money for out team.  We raised over $1,300!  That's enough for several mammograms for uninsured and under-insured women.
Pink Sale at church
Before the race started, there was a Survivor Parade.  All of the women, and men, who are battling or have battled breast cancer gathered in their hot pink shirts and paraded to the starting line.  Many were smiling and high fiving the crowd.  Others were so emotional that they couldn't hold back the tears.  It was the same for us in the crowd - not many dry eyes watching those brave warriors in pink!  Just as the parade started, we looked up to see our girl Cathy right in front!  She was smiling SO BIG!  She had just met her BC pen pal and was walking arm in arm with her.  So precious!

There were over 15,000 people there for the race and several other supporters there.  What a crowd!  We somehow got most of our group together for the start of the race.  Most of the runners started towards the front and the rest of us gathered around the block.  I wanted to start with Cathy, but I started running at the starting line.

And I kept running.

I ran uphill, downhill, around turns, between people, past people, to the finish line!!!

Once I crossed the line, I got my bottle of water, did a little happy dance, and called my friends who were still walking.  I re-entered the race and found my people.

Here they come!
We completed the last few blocks all together and crossed the finish line with Cathy!


Look at that smile!!!!
The first finish line of many that we will cross by her side!  She's the one doing the work, but we will be with her the whole way!

Silly girls with the PINK Sheriff's car.

I love this picture!

Love you, Cathy!


No comments: