Thursday, April 12, 2012

Laundry Detergent

I've made this switch from a "natural = tree hugger weirdo" mindset to a "natural is better for me and my family" mindset.  One of the first things I tried was laundry detergent.  I've always been a huge fan of Gain.  I love the smell, it makes my clothes look clean, and it was easy to buy.  It was also very expensive and I had no idea what was in that pretty green liquid.
I found (on Pinterest, of course) a pretty simple recipe on the blog, Sew Like My Mom.  I had seen other recipes that involved a 5 gallon bucket and a drill - too much for me!  This one made a powder and I could make a small amount to try it out before committing to gallons and gallons of this stuff.

I love it!  My clothes are clean - maybe even cleaner than before.  I'm saving a ton of money.  I may have spent $2.00 to make the small amount that has lasted me a couple of months already.  I can even forget about clothes in the washer and they still smell great.  I'm still using the Gain dryer sheets until I run out, but then I plan to try a natural fabric softener - maybe something as simple of cider vinegar on a wash cloth.  I'll let you know how that goes too!

No comments: