Monday, February 13, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings

Eh.
It was good, but not our taste.  Before I tell you why, let me tell you what it is.
I found a pin with a recipe for Chicken and Dumplings...in the crock pot!  Well, what good southern wife doesn't make chicken and dumplings for her hubby?  I gathered my ingredients and wrassled my giant crock pot out of the cabinet it resides in.  I started dumping everything in before I realized I only had 1 of the 2 cans of cream of chicken that the recipe calls for.  I did have a can of broccoli cheese soup, so I used that.  It gave the dish an interesting touch.
The chicken was very tasty and very tender, but the dumplings just weren't for us.  I prefer Cracker Barrel dumplings!  Plus, using canned soups adds a lot of extra sodium.  Neither of use like a lot of salt, so it was a bit much.
I may make chicken using the recipe, but with my own cream soup base and without the dumplings.  That way it would be low-carb too.  I think it would be pretty similar to my grandmother's chicken stew recipe then.  Hm...maybe that will be on the menu next week!

No comments: