Thursday, February 23, 2012

Positive Thinking Thursday

I'm feeling fairly positive today!  The only negative thoughts I'm harboring are about reaching my goal of losing 5 pounds by next Tuesday.  I set that goal earlier in the month, but I'm still 1.8 lbs away.  I'm afraid I won't make it.

So...

What happens if I don't reach my goal?  Will the world end?  Will I miss out on anything?

NOPE!  If I don't reach it, at least I know I'm working towards it.  I know I will get there because of my dedication and self-control.  And I've got to give God the credit for that.

I found this pin on Pinterest that asks different health questions.  Now that I've been at it for over 2 weeks without any cheats or skipping workouts, I decided to try to answer some of them.

Here are some thoughts and the Bible passages I have found to back this all up.  I want to be clear that this isn't all of my own doing.  I've prayed and prayed for God to help me practice self-control, which is a fruit of the Spirit.  I know I have the knowledge and resources to make the best choices, but I've got to have His help to succeed.

1 Corinthians 6:19-20  Do you not know your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?

1. What keeps me going to reach my goal?
     I like having small goals.  I can handle a little bit at a time because I can experience achievement and that is encouraging.  I know God wants me to be fit and healthy, so doing the right thing is motivating as well.  I want to be a wife of noble character and she's got to be strong! (Proverbs 31:17)
     The feeling of strength I have already experiences in two weeks makes me want more of it.  I want to create a legacy of health and strength for my family.  I want to encourage other women to do this.  If I can do it, anyone can get healthy!

2. What is my favorite healthy breakfast?
     I enjoyed the fried eggs I had yesterday.  I like having fruit and peanut butter or greek yogurt too.  I've found a few recipes, such as broiled grapefruit, that I'd like to try too.  I'm excited to learn to make healthier foods more often too!
3. Favorite lunch and dinner?
    Right now I'm enjoying Thai Chicken over spinach.  It is pretty easy to make and its enough for our dinner and a lunch or two later in the week.  I'm having a lot of fun just trying something new every time I cook.  There are so many plant-based options out there that I've never even tried.
     Genesis 1:29 God gave us every seed-bearing plant to be food for us.  He made it all good.
     Philippians 3:19 Is your stomach your god?  I'm guilty of making food an idol.  That feels weird to put out there for others to know, but it's true. I love food way too much.
     Proverbs 23:2-3 This even tells us to put a knife to our throat if we are given in to gluttony.  Whoa...no thanks.

4.  My #1 motivational tip?
     Find the right reason FOR YOU!  I think Biblical reasons are pretty good, but God has a different way of getting everyone's attention.  What is it going to take for you to change your MIND?  When your mind changes, your body follows.  My reason is to be healthy and fit, but more importantly, to learn discipline and self-control.  I want to stop letting food and laziness be my god.  My desire is to live the abundant life that God has for me.
     Romans 5:3-4  From our hard work, we learn perseverance, and therefore, character and character breeds hope.  I want all of those characteristics.

5. How much progress have I made towards my goal?
    I feel like I've already met my most challenging goal - to change my mind!  I went to that ladies' retreat and stuck to my healthy eating and exercise.  
     As far as my weight-loss goals, they don't seem to matter as much anymore.  I still want to achieve them, but I know they will come.  I just want to continue to challenge myself physically and educate myself about nutrition.
     James 5:11 Job persevered and God brought about much mercy and compassion.
     James 1:3 My faith is being tested because the weight is not "falling off" like I want it to.  But testing leads to perseverance.  I want to learn to keep at it even when it is difficult.

Those are the only questions I've really spent time on so far.  I'm sure I'll do some revising and re-visiting from time to time.  Thanks for taking time to read my thoughts!




No comments: