Saturday, February 04, 2012

Washing my face with oil

I wrote a post about being a natural woman a while back.  This pin from Pinterest is part of that inspiration.  Well, I've been washing my face with oil for almost 3 months now and the results are fantastic!  I've mixed 1 part olive oil with 1 part castor oil and it seems just right for my skin.  During really cold weeks, I've needed a little more olive oil to keep my skin from feeling dry.  Everyone once in a while I'll use Skin Rever-Upper from Bare Minerals to keep it smooth.
I smooth the oil on my face while my shower is warming up.  I get a washcloth hot and lay it over my face for about a minute.  I then rinse the washcloth and lightly wipe/scrub my face to remove the oil.  It feels great and works well.
I was keeping it in a baby food jar on my counter until a trip to Honduras in December.  Those suckers don't seal up so well in the luggage, apparently.  While we were in a third world country, I didn't really have access to olive oil and castor oil so I washed my face with bar soap.  My skin broke out like never before.  I decided to use Cetaphil after we got back in hopes that it would clear up.  NOPE!  As soon as I went back to my oil mixture, my skin started behaving itself again.  I don't think I'll ever use another facewash again!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Before doing this, what kind of skin did you have? I'm very oily in the "T-zone" and think this would make it worse. Does it feel clean?

Mandee said...

I have combination skin. It gets very oily in the summer and very dry in the winter. The trick is balancing your oils. You use more castor oil for dry skin and more olive oil for dryer skin. My face feels cleaner now that it has in the past. The first couple of days it felt so weird to put oil on my face, but now I wouldn't go back to anything else.