Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Coaster Tutorial

I found a pin for making coasters from tiles you can buy at Home Depot or Lowe's, but the link is now gone.  So, I'll just share how I did it.
First, I went to Lowe's and looked on a clearance shelf for tiles.  The tutorial I read said she found them for $0.16, but I paid about $0.30 for each of mine.  Still cheap!
I used Hard Coat Mod Podge and ribbon to make a set of coasters, but the ribbon was really too thick to make a good seal on the smooth coasters. I like how they looked, but they aren't very functional.  Also, the ribbon eventually peels off.
                       


So then I tried punching shapes out of paint chips.  Again, they don't stay as well and you don't get a smooth finish.  I think its because the paint chips can't soak up the mod podge.

Finally, I used card stock to print out the lyrics from our first dance at our wedding.  I slathered the Mod Podge on and placed the cut card stock on top of the tile.  Then I slathered some more.  I had some tiny hearts I had punched out of paint chips, so I added a pink one to my coaster and a blue one to the hubby's coaster.


We use them daily and they have held up very well.  Every once in a while, you can see a ring, but it can be wiped off with a damp paper towel.  (You can see that its time to wipe in the photo!)



Materials:
Hard Coat Mod Podge
Sponge or paint brush
Cheap tiles
Card Stock or scrap book paper

The process:
1. Clean the tile with an alcohol swab and let dry.
2. Cut whatever paper you are using to fit your tile.
3. Spread the Modge Podge directly onto the top of the tile.  And by spread I mean slather.  Really coat that sucker!
4. Place your paper on top of the Mod Podge and slather some more.
5. Let dry at least 24 hours before using.

That's it!  Very easy and cute.  These would make a great gift too.  Maybe even a wedding gift with invitations or photos?

No comments: